WWII Skirmish Game

WWII Skirmish Game

Postby Saladin » Wed Aug 06, 2008 7:10 pm

[reposted from the previous forum]

I am presently running a WWII Skirmish PBEM game set in France 1940

I am doing this mainly as an alternative to solo gaming since I have no local opponents where I live. Not sure if anybody has tried this style of game before but it is sort of a learning experience for me. Anyway, first game seems to be going pretty good so far and the two players are being great sports -- I'm having a lot of fun too.

Regarding the set up, I have designed a rudimentary website where players can access the status of the game and see maps and current pictures of the tabletop. I can also update them with text relevant to the action. As a first game, this will help me refine the tool for the future so I will be asking for much feedback from the players.

Anyway, thought otherr PBEM ers would be interested in my exploits and maybe like to comment or give advice. Thanks!

-Chris H. , California USA
Saladin
Site Admin

Re: WWII Skirmish Game

[reposted]

I don't know if you know PBI - Poor bloody infantry ww2 rules - its set at company level combats.

Ive run or am running 3 campaigns using these rules as the combat system and I have found the easiest way of setting up a campaign is to use a board game.

My present campaign is the invasion of Malta, operation Hercules. - Im using the board game that comes with Crete.

The idea for running a campaign is to generate wargames that have a consiquence.

I want to use a company size game, so I generally down scale battalions to companies.

in the game a conter ussually has a combat factor, and a movement factor. I tend to make the combat (attack) factor the points value of the unit in 100 pts so an attack factor of 5 = 500pt unit.

so far the only problem has been getting the players to hurry up in responces to orders and battles.
each player (I have 3 in malta, British, german, italian) plays verse a locale opponent (hear honesty is paramount) and sends me the result of the game, winner looser, and losses

I sort out what the forces do after the battle and how many of the losses are recovered

I seams to work well

peter
Saladin
Site Admin

[reposted]

My approach is a bit different than Waterloo's

Essentially function as an umpire/GM for the game, making all the moves on the tabletop for the players and then replying back to them with a current situation report. In the current game, players are officers handling roughly platoon to company sized force. I initially give them a map of the game board with terrain only (aerial reconnaissance photo) and them send them their initial orders , objective, and units under their command (from HQ) . And any special GM notes or rules.

At this point players will email me orders for the 1st turn. I will play out the orders based on my skirmish ruleset, resolve all movement & combat, and then email back each player with the current situation. I usually take a couple of pictures of the game board after each turn FROM THE PERSPECTIVE OF THE COMMANDER ONLY, and upload them on my site for him to view, along with textual bit of story about what he's seeing and whats happening. Then they make their next move and we repeat the whole process.

It seems to be working pretty well so far and at least one of my players and expressed how much fun he's having. My hope with this was to strive for realism in the tactics by limiting the perspective of the players. I think this way should be much more accurate than say, using blinds or other mechanisms. And the players have no way to exploit any rules limitations since they don't know the rules, they simply give orders to their units as if they were actually in the battle.

I also take lots of pictures of the overall action on the board, etc during the game which I am keeping for an AAR later. I'm sure it will be alot of fun for the players to see what the other guy's objectives and tactics were from his point of view, after the game.

Anyway, I hope to make a campaign out of it if the players are interested. I was even thinking it could be possible to run a game this way with 2 players per side, -- but I think it would be a lot more time consuming for me and the game would probably run a bit slower. Plus I'd need a larger table. Currently running 20 mm on a 6x8 ft table and it takes up almost my entire office... I can barely move around in here!
Saladin
Site Admin

Postby Saladin » Wed Aug 06, 2008 7:11 pm

[reposted]

Rules are homebrew. Bits and pieces taken from a few different (mostly free) rulesets. I have a quick reference sheet that I use to resolve most things, which is a constant work in progress.

Yes, regarding the tactics -- it seems the roles were reversed.. The British very aggressive, and pressuring the enemy right away..with a hit-and-run approach. The Germans, fighting hard, but failing to press the advantage in a timely manner. And then becoming quite cautious at the end...

It was certainly alot of fun to GM it. By the way, I added a sort of chronological "tactical map" of to the aar for this (check it out at www.chtechnical.com/skirmish). Something I've wanted to do in Photoshop for a while. I've always loved these kinds of maps in the military books I've read, and I think they make it easier to follow the AAR.

Saladin, your ideas for PBEM skirmish, I think, would definately be a step in the more "realistic feel" direction... though I am happy I think, with a little bit of wiggle room in terms of map visuals and a "bit" more omniscient battlefield presence..

-Chris H.
Saladin
Site Admin

Return to Designing and Running PBEM Games